Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Jane's thoughts on this first morning...


Everything here is a fairy tale for me. Magpie birds that I love, all the singing birds of English stories. Even a sweet English kitty that walks through the back patio and sits and looks at me. 

The pigeons are HUGE, like a small female turkey! My they would make a good pigeon pie and it would not take more than two! The people around here would probably be shocked if they knew I was scoping out their birds for pie. There are a lot of big blackbirds as well... four and twenty I believe was what went into the King's nursery rhyme pie. :-)

This is the land of P. L. Travers' Mary Poppins (all 4 volumes), James Barrie's Peter Pan, Arthur Ransome's Swallow and Amazons tales (6 or 7 of them), Beatrix Potter's 23 charming little tales, countless English nursery rhymes, Lewis Carrol's Alice in Wonderland (in fact Steve saw a large rabbit out on the green and it went behind a tree and we didn't see it again... probably went down the rabbit hole! :-)  A.A. Milne's Winnie the Pooh, and the House at Pooh Corner, and his two poetry volumes When We Were Very Young, and Now We Are Six, C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia, E. Nesbit's Railway Children, and Edward Lear's Half Magic. I'm sure there are many more than I can possibly remember, all of which I've enjoyed over and over since "I was very young."

All this to say that it has been hard for Stephen to give me such a spectacular gift of coming here, but I hope things will even out and we will both feel "enchantedly blessed."

You would love the English flowers, and our little place even has herbs to put in our cooking. I plan to get snippets of chives for our eggs this morning.

Beginning not to feel so scared but we don't know how to do anything here! Everything is backwards and upside down from driving, to walking, to how to hold your fork, but that's a part of an adventure, right?  I do feel a bit like I've fallen down the rabbit hole.

1 comment:

Becky said...

But what a delightful rabbit hole! You are a grand adventurer and you will be a local before you know it. :)